The aim of this industrial research is to develop flexible, scalable and automated manufacturing processes for next-generation hairpin windings (e.g. laminated and roebel type) to accelerate the related UK supply chain in used in high-performance electric machines, well beyond the international competition.
MDL will carry out:
- A full multi-physics analysis of hairpin winding.
- Full 3D design capability of pre-formed windings.
- Including manufacturability and manufacturing constraints/processes, validated by pilot/test results.
- Multi-physics winding design and impact on motor performance.
- Timeline: April 2020 — June 2021
- Funding: Innovate UK, Driving the electric revolution: accelerated supply chain development, strand 1
- Motor Design Ltd
- GKN Automotive
- The University of Nottingham.