Job Title: Lead Software Developer
Location: MDL Headquarters, Wrexham, UK
Salary/Package: Competitive Salary + Medical benefits
Vacancy Type: Permanent
Motor Design Limited (MDL) is the developer of Motor-CAD, the most complete and integrated multi-physics motor design software. As world leaders, they provide advanced tools and engineering services for the design of electrical machines. MDL software is distributed worldwide. Their clients include major manufacturing companies in the automotive, aerospace and industrial sectors like Daimler, BMW, JLR, BAE Systems, Siemens, ABB and GE.
This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious software developer to be part of a new venture at MDL developing a unique systems software solution for the rapidly growing electrification market in partnership with electrification engineering experts at FluxSys Ltd.
MDL is looking to recruit a Software Developer who can lead and develop the new powertrain systems engineering software, working closely with our partner FluxSys Ltd.
As a software developer with a good degree in engineering / computer science, you will join a growing and dynamic team, developing class-leading software, working closely with experienced engineers. Reporting to the Head of Software Development, your work will be focused on the development of a brand new commercially focussed software working with requirements that are well-defined. You will be a self-starter, responsible for managing your own tasks and work closely with our partner FluxSys Ltd.
You will have the opportunity to improve your knowledge of programming, systems engineering, expand your software development skills and gain experience in a growing electric vehicle design and engineering market.
You will be required to manage your own workload to tasks provided, report at regular intervals to our project partner and raise matters that need urgent resolution in a timely manner.
This is an excellent opportunity for bringing your technical knowledge and software skills to make a big impact in electric vehicle design and sustainable clean energy products.
Your tasks may vary based on the priorities of the business. Main responsibilities will include:
- Develop a platform and software architecture for our new engineering software product
- Implement engineering workflows, solver algorithms and data structures in the software
- Develop highly effective and intuitive user interface features in the software
- Define and scope-out software development tasks, plan your work and provide regular updates on your progress
- Assist in the release of the software and conducting pre-release software testing
- Support customer requests via email, phone calls and web-meetings as required
- Develop new ideas and technologies for optimising and improving the software
- Work in a collaborative and professional manner with the team and our partner FluxSys
- Assist engineering research and consulting projects, where required
- An accredited Bachelors or Masters degree with 2:1 or above in a related field
- Strong aptitude in software development, physics and engineering.
- Knowledge and understanding of cloud-based software architectures
- Experience of software development (e.g. C++, Python, Matlab etc)
- Experience of leading projects and bringing ideas into a user-friendly software product
- An understanding of electric vehicles, powertrain layout and electric motors
- A professional approach towards work relationships and customer engagement
- Good written and verbal skills in English
- Competent in using Microsoft office or similar
- Self-motivated and capable of taking instructions and managing your own work.
Desirable, but not essential:
- More than 2 years of working in software engineering or programming
- Experience in developing and launching a new software product
- Experience with taking software concept ideas and bringing them to market
- Experience with developing collaboration tools in software and SaaS business models
- Knowledge of electrified powertrain vehicle designs
- An appreciation of engineering design principles
- Experience with customer engagements and building relationships
- A passion for creating something new and exciting.
Tel: +44 (0)1691 623305