Job Title: Software Development Engineer
Location: MDL Headquarters, Wrexham, UK
Salary/Package: Competitive Salary + Medical benefits
Vacancy Type: Permanent
Motor Design Limited (MDL) is the developer of Motor-CAD, the most complete and integrated electrical and thermal motor design software. As world leaders, they provide advanced tools and engineering services for the design of electrical machines. MDL software is distributed worldwide. Their clients include major manufacturing companies in the automotive, aerospace and industrial sectors like Daimler, BMW, JLR, BAE Systems, Siemens, ABB and GE.
MDL’s expert knowledge is used to design electric machines on many cutting-edge research and innovation projects; including electric and hybrid vehicles, aerospace components and wind turbines.
To support their growing software business, MDL is looking to recruit a Software Development Engineer.
As an engineer with a good degree in engineering / physics, you will join a growing and dynamic team, developing class-leading software. Reporting to the Head of Software Development, your work will be focused on the development of the Motor-CAD finite element solver. You will be a self-starter, responsible for managing your own tasks and work collaboratively.
You will have the opportunity to improve your knowledge of finite element solvers, expand your software development skills and gain experience in modelling advanced electric motors.
You will support motor engineers in designing electric machines across a wide range of market sectors.
This is an excellent opportunity for bringing your technical knowledge and software skills to make a big impact in electric motor design and sustainable clean energy products.
Your tasks may vary based on the priorities of the business. Main responsibilities will include:
- Implementation of new finite element solver algorithms
- Developing intuitive user interface features in the software
- Defining and scoping-out of software development tasks
- Assisting in the release of the software and conducting pre-release software testing
- Supporting customer requests via email, phone calls and web-meetings as required
- Developing new ideas and technologies for optimising and improving the models
- Working in a collaborative and professional manner with the team and customers
- Assisting engineering research and consulting projects, where required
- A graduate engineer with at least a 2:1 or above accredited degree
- Strong aptitude in Physics and Maths
- Knowledge and understanding of the concepts of finite element solvers
- Experience of software development (e.g. C++, Python, Matlab etc)
- An understanding of electromagnetics and thermal principles
- A professional approach towards work relationships and customer engagement
- Good written and verbal skills in English
- Competent in using Microsoft office or similar
- Self-motivated and can manage one’s own workload
Desirable, but not essential:
- Experience in the development of finite element solvers
- Experience with designing using electromagnetics and thermal modelling
- Knowledge of electric motors and their applications
- An appreciation of engineering design principles
- Experience with customer engagements and building relationships
- A passion for creating something new and exciting
Tel: +44 (0)1691 623305